1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 ¼ cup small green lentils (8 oz.), rinsed
½ onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
3 cloves of garlic, diced
1 sprig of thyme
1 sprig of parsley
1 bay leaf
2 shallots, minced
4 tablespoons of sherry vinegar
4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1 pomegranate, seeded 6-8 dinosaur kale leaves, sliced into thin ribbons (as thin
1 small bunch of chives or a couple of scallions, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Lightly coat the bottom of a medium sauce pan with extra virgin olive oil and
heat over medium high flame.
2. Add onion, carrot, garlic, and sauté about 3 minutes or until fragrant.
3. A dd lentils, herbs and a fat pinch of salt and cover with water. Simmer about
25 minutes or until lentils are done. Discard the herbs and drain any excess
water if there is any.
4. In a separate bowl, combine shallots, vinegar, and oil and season with salt
and pepper. Whisk all ingredients together and then pour the dressing over the
5. Stir in kale ribbons and pomegranate seeds.
6. Dress the warm lentils and taste for seasoning.
7. Serve at room temperature and garnish with chives!
From IIN graduate: Dani Spies, class of 2007