1/2 cup mung beans
8 cups water, divided
2 tablespoons ghee or olive oil
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 cup cooked basmati rice
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Soak the beans in a bowl with water for 2 hours, then drain and rinse.
- Cook the beans in 4 cups of water for 30 minutes and drain excess liquid.
- Heat the ghee or oil in a deep pan over medium heat.
- Add mustard and cumin seeds and stir until they pop, about 2 minutes.
- Add the rice, beans, turmeric and salt and stir.
- Add the water, and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, cover most of the way, and simmer 25 minutes, until rice and beans are cooked.
Kitchari, a combination of rice and mung beans, is used in Ayurveda for cleansing the system.
- Add any vegetables you like to the pot while the rice and beans are cooking.
Leave a Reply